The GTA Blog @ Penrose Library

This is the true story of a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the Penrose Library, University of Denver.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Zotero, Google Books, and Research

As of late, I've been trying to figure out if it is worth our while to put Google Books links in our catalog records. First, I ran a search on all of the books in our stacks from 1850-1923, and then sampled them randomly, first three per every other page, and then one every ten pages. I got a sample of around 250 or so titles.

I copied the bibliographic information from PEAK using the Firefox 2.0 extension Zotero, which automatically detects and pulls bibliographic data off most websites. Currently I am checking how many in my sample are in Google Books, and double-checking them against the catalog, thanks to tabbed browsing.

So far, Google Books has matched Peak to the tune of 39%.

UPDATE:
The final count is 88 out of 243, or 37%.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home